Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Okay, break's over!



Between StewMac and Guitar Center - I will spend my dotage in poverty - but grinning like a fool.

I know it seems like this build fell off my radar again but I swear it hasn't.  True, I have been waiting for the finish to fully cure. But I've also been missing a couple of pieces to move forward: electronics and sandpaper.  Of course, I can't use just any sandpaper - that would be too easy - it has to be highly specific sandpaper, don't cha know?  Welcome to Luthiery - where we make guitars but mostly we make ourselves poor.

To get a mirror shine on the guitar body you need ridiculously fine grit sandpaper - 800 grit and higher. And StewMac is oh so willing to sell me 10 different flavors of sandpaper over 800 grit but as I'm not planning on building 100 guitars this year I don't really need them in the quantities they sell them.  So instead of buying $100 worth of sandpaper from StewMac, I did the same thing I did eight years ago  - I bought a sampler pack of all the grits I'll need. The last sampler pack lasted me eight years and almost four guitars.  Not too shabby.  And in another eight years, I'll reevaluate.

I have no idea what I'm doing...
In addition to super fine sandpaper, I also needed some electric components.  Switches, potentiometers, wiring...  You know - all the things that woodworkers use to make stuff!  I'll be honest - I don't enjoy this part of making guitars.  I'm not a fan of solder and I have rather shaky hands (family trait) so this kind of work is an exercise in frustration for me personally.  I still haven't decided if I'm going to take the easy way out and pay someone to wire this.  It'll cost me $80 to $100 to hire someone to wire this - and while this build is already over budget - my sanity is worth more than that.

We'll see...

Either way - I'll have the components I want and I'll know they are good quality.

Bag it. Tag it. Sell it to the butcher in the store.

So, I guess it's time to start finishing the finish.

No comments: