So, I don't have a name for this one yet. We're still getting to know each other.
You've come a long way...
Submitted for your approval - without further comment:
Thursday, January 11, 2018
Wednesday, January 10, 2018
|Welcome to the Green Room. Have a seat on the couch.|
|Two faced son of a....|
You can't get a really good shine on a nitrocellulose finish without polishing your arm off. And yes, you do end up waxing on and waxing off (at least I did). It works just fine - why would we doubt Miyagi?
I started out with 800 grit sandpaper but I want to caution you - really look at your project before you make that determination. On previous builds, I've started at 600 or even 400 grit sandpaper - as those builds needed it. This time around I sprayed the guitar body very evenly so I didn't need to even out the finish and I had no orange peel or finish spits to knock down. So I didn't need one of the coarser grits to start.
|It says "waterproof" not "idiot proof"|
|Thank you. You're pretty Fine yourself.|
|Looks like putty.|
Tastes like chicken.
|...spreads like chicken too.|
|"It rubs the lotion on its skin..."|
|"It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it get's the hose again."|
Even though there are no pictures of it - you do the same exact process on the back of the guitar as the front. I just didn't take any pictures for some reason. In fact, it's really important that you go through the steps (and grits) only once - so you have to do the front, back, and sides all at the same time.
|Not too shabby|
For the neck - I repeated all of the above steps for the front of the headstock so that it would somewhat match the guitar body. For the back of the headstock and the rest of the neck, I used extra-fine steel wool and wiped down the neck until it had a smooth but matte finish. I'm not concerned about the neck having a gloss finish and a matte finish is more comfortable to me. (it's also super simple to do - which is nice).
Tuesday, January 2, 2018
|Uh oh. Dad's got the fringe out again...|
Sorry. Wrong blog...
But seriously, it's time for more binding (yay!). I decided way back that I wanted to bind this Les Paul style neck - including the headstock. So, here we go. In a previous post, I discussed how I needed to make a channel for the binding to sit in.
|57 Channels and nothing on|
|Mmmmm... Death Chicklets|
The joy of watching plastic melt...
|Death Chicklet soup...?|
|Always the same: It's picture day and I have flyaway binding|
So what more is there to talk about?
Not much. I just thought a post of nothing but pictures would be a bit boring.
And I thought the blog would be a bit dry without my pithy observations.
Binding the neck isn't really that new and different. If anything, it's easier than a guitar body because it's pretty much a straight run of binding with no curves. Until you get to the headstock.
|Curvy you say?|
|All wrapped up and nowhere to go.|
|No, my workbench didn't magically turn into polished stone.|
|Ladies and gentlemen - my kitchen floor|
And we're back in the garage.
|That middle bit is going to be a problem|
|And this is gonna make the guitar look better how?|
|Son of a...!|
I was pretty surprised myself. I must have pulled the binding in the wrong direction when I taped it down because I was about a half inch short. And by the time I realized this the binding was mostly done - so it would have been a real pain to redo. So, I slapped another small strip on there and we'll work on it.
Unless you actually know what you're doing and then you do this in one night...
I started simple with the small piece that goes on the butt of the neck.
|Heh, heh. He said butt!|
|Binding gives you wings!|
|Caressing the guitar jowls|
Then I waited overnight and on day 3 scrapped that sucker.
I will mention again that I use both a cabinet scraper and a utility blade to scrap bindings. This time out I also tried using a 1/4 inch chisel. Which worked for the area where the nut will go as that is harder to scrap or snip.
|After a rough night on the town|
|Heisenberg's lesser-known experiments with binding. No dead cats required.|
And I knew the top of the headstock was going to need a solution.
|Pictured: Unresolved issues|
Buth otherwise - it's starting to look pretty good
|Pictured: Pretty good|