Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Bling a Ling Ling

When it comes to guitars - a little flash never hurt anyone.  One of my favorite ways to customize a guitar is with a custom neck plate.  The funny thing is that in the normal course of playing a guitar neither you nor an audience member can see the neck plate - so it's more of a mental thing for the player than anything else.

I've used a couple of different vendors for custom neck plates over the years.  The most recent one is http://www.customneckplate.com/  You provide them with a decent quality image and you get back something like this:

Celtic Love knot
I don't normally go for the gold.  But I figured it would be a nice compliment to the warm tones/figure of the Mahogany wood. A cool new feature of this vendor is the ability to put serial numbers on the neck plates.

...whether or not I actually finish these three guitars in 2015 is anyone's guess.

...okay I wouldn't put a lot of money on it...


Awen - Welsh symbol for inspiration.
See kids!  This is what trolling around on the internet for hours at a time will get you:  You spend your money of some really strange stuff.  

Another fun tip: When you type "Celtic Symbol" into Google you get a lot of craptastic tattoo pictures but sometimes you strike gold.  I liked this symbol - the Awen - from the moment I saw it.  It doesn't really appear to be "Celtic" but I like what it stands for and since I'm about  1/16th Welsh -  let's run with it!

Three.  It's the magic number...

I'm pretty sure that the Celtic knot is going on the Les Paul and the Awen symbol is going on the PRS (whenever I get back to that build).  But where is that black neck plate going to go...?
Hmmm...
...I do wonder...


No comments: