Monday, November 19, 2018

Ukulele - Part 1

"No woodworking experience required."

Ukulele (pronounced "Ookulele" if you are from the 50th state) seems to be all the rage these days.
Think of this:  When I walked into my local Guitar Center last Christmas the first stringed instrument I saw was a Uke, not a guitar.

I'm not sure if  Zooey Deschanel or Eddie Vedder is to blame for making it popular again but it is.
I'm a fan of IZ Kamakawiwo'ole and I like anything made for making music - so I'm on board.

My lovely wife - knowing that I like building (and hoarding) guitars - thought this would be a fantastic Christmas gift.  And she was right.  I don't think I would have purchased a Uke on my own but build a Uke?  That sounds like fun (and I get a Uke at the end of it all).

StewMac (for those of you NOT playing the Luthier Home Game) is where all the guitar building things are sold.  They have the tools and the supplies to build pretty much anything with strings including build-it-yourself kits like the one above.

The caption on the picture above is a bit misleading.  No, you don't need much woodworking experience to build this kit.  But you do need a fair amount of woodworking tools.  StewMac sells what again?  Having said that -  I'm not even 1/3 of the way through this build and it's already one of my favorites.

Is it live or is it Memorex?

What you are looking at is what will become the inside of the guitar on the right and the brace template on the left.

The kit comes with all the parts you'll need already cut and sized.  You provide the glue and the clamps.  The kit also comes with detailed instructions, a template (see above) and most importantly "How-to" videos on their website.

Blast-Ended Skrewt?

This was a perfect project for me as I can build it at my kitchen counter without creating a big mess (Editor's note:  My definition of a "big mess" and my wife's definition don't seem to match).

I kid. She enjoyed watching me build this and even lent me some of her clamps.


Purple clothespins - Accept no substitutes.

In truth - you could possibly build this with just a couple of clamps and a bunch of clothespins (StewMac suggests this route) but since I have the clamps - I'm gonna use them.

In the above pics, I put some painters tape on the back of the guitar to catch the excess glue that squeezes out when you clamp on the braces.  Oh yeah!  The braces are to strengthen the back and top.  If they weren't there the guitar would implode the first time you string it up.

Sans tape
 About 5 minutes after I clamped the braces I removed the tape (don't wait until the glue is dried or the tape will become a permanent part of the instrument!).  It may be hard to see in the above pic but one of my braces moved a bit during the clamping process.  It shouldn't be a big deal (and you'll never see it) but watch for it if you try this at home.

Die Spitze
So, as much as I'm enjoying the "paint by numbers" aspect of building this Uke.  I can't leave it there.
Once all of the braces are dry I'm going to go back and shape (i.e. thin) them.  They are very thin braces but they are still a little too big for an instrument this small.  And the thinner braces should make the top sound a bit better.  Up next:  Building jigs and bending sides.

No comments: